Healthgrades is currently piloting a new feature in select provider profiles on Healthgrades.com: Top Care Area rankings. These rankings offer patients insight into a provider’s experience based on the number of procedures performed and the number of conditions treated by the provider.
Based on our research, 90% of those polled identified a provider’s experience in performing procedures and treating conditions as one of the most important decision-making factors in choosing a provider.
The Top Care Area rankings joins existing quality indicators in provider profiles, such as education, board certification, years of practice, and patient experience ratings and reviews.
View Your Rankings
We currently display Top Care Area rankings for providers who have one of the following primary specialties:
- Cardiac Surgery
Understand the Rankings
Rankings are shown as a percentile, comparing providers with his/her peers nationwide based on billing claims data. Learn more about the data.
To determine ranking, Healthgrades compares nationally the number of times a given provider performs the procedure/treats the condition against all providers who perform the same procedure or treat the same condition.
Per procedure/condition you perform/treat, we indicate the following in the Top Care Area section:
- Where your volume ranks nationally in terms of percentile
- Where your volume stands statistically relative to your peers, placing you into one of the following four categories:
- Very High
- May Perform*
* In cases where our claims data is too low to derive statistical significance, we indicate May Perform and encourage patients to contact you with questions about experience.
To determine Top Care Area rankings, we use public data from billing claims filed nationwide on behalf of a provider to either government or private health insurance. Healthgrades obtains billing claims data through a third party clearinghouse that receives anonymized claims data from the government/private health insurance to which the claims were originally filed. Healthgrades conducts analysis of multiple data sources and chooses vendors that ensure the highest level of accuracy and consistency. For Top Care Areas, we only show rankings in specialties where we meet this high level of confidence in claims data.
Add/Remove a Top Care Area Ranking
If your primary specialty is one for which we show currently show Top Care Area rankings, you can personalize your display choices by signing in to your provider profile and editing the list of procedures performed and/or conditions treated.
- To edit your provider profile, go to the Healthgrades Physician Portal sign-in page and sign in.
- If you are a provider, your provider profile displays by default.
If you are an authorized representative, a list of the providers for whom you are authorized display. Click a provider name to open that provider's profile for editing.
- In the sidebar of the opened profile, choose Conditions Treated or Procedures Performed to jump to that section and make edits.
Important! When you alter the procedures you perform/conditions you treat to affect the display of Top Care Area rankings, this also affects the procedures/conditions displayed in the corresponding sections in your provider profile displayed on Healthgrades.com.
When you add a condition and/or procedure, you can expect the corresponding Top Care Area ranking to display in your provider profile within 24-48 hours as long as we have a statistically significant volume of your claims data for that procedure and/or condition.
The Top Care Area section might not display in your provider profile due to one or more of the following reasons:
- The Top Care Area rankings feature is new in 2017 and only displays for providers with a primary specialty of Ophthalmology, Cardiology, or Cardiac Surgery.
- If you remove all the procedures/conditions related to the specialties for which we display Top Care Area rankings, then we do not display the Top Care Area section in your provider profile.
- When we do not have a sufficient volume of data to statistically evaluate you for ranking in any of the areas we currently evaluate, then we do not display the Top Care Area section in your provider profile.